How often should you service your outboard?

Kbeever

How often should you service your outboard?

Post by Kbeever »

I used to take my boat in once a year to get a tune up and replace the water pump but now that things are tighter financially, I want to maximize my dollar. How often should you have the motor tuned up? I have a 250 XS and run it about 2 days a month. Just got back from Havasu and it ran fine. (Last tune up over 2 years)

I know guys who haven't did any for 6-7 years and there boats run great.

Thanks for your input.

Keith
DeltaDan

Re: How often should you service your outboard?

Post by DeltaDan »

Plugs I remove and clean myself every 6 months and check the gap - Still no need to change them out as of yet.

Filters and Water Impeller - every two years ..... Unless you take out your L/U before that time comes due. :lol: -- (Then have it changed while the L/U is already off. :wink: )
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

You should have your motor serviced and waterpump impeller changed every 2 years or every 100 hours. Just like your rubber windshield wipers it goes bad just sitting there. Also for those with the newer engines that have Mercury Factory extended warrantee's to keep the warrantee effective a service history must be kept. Twice a month's use is about 50 hours a year, so 2 years max. Plus if you are not under warranty, blow a powerhead and those services will seem cheap. Rick G.
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
drrakruz

Post by drrakruz »

Kbeever wrote:I used to take my boat in once a year to get a tune up and replace the water pump but now that things are tighter financially, I want to maximize my dollar. How often should you have the motor tuned up? I have a 250 XS and run it about 2 days a month. Just got back from Havasu and it ran fine. (Last tune up over 2 years)

I know guys who haven't did any for 6-7 years and there boats run great.

Thanks for your input.

Keith
Consider the guys who didn't do anything to their motors for 6-7 years EXTREMELY fortunate. That would be like people who just put gas in their vehicles and never check the fluid levels, or even worse yet, "NEVER CHANGE THEM". With the superior quality of our fuel today <NOT>, everyone should be running the combo fuel stabilizer/cleaner. For $15, it treats 30 gallons of fuel. As for the service, the norm used to be once every two years. If you decide to compete and want "Turn-Key" performance and reliability, it's once a year baby. If you want to save money, learn to do it yourself. Lower-end oil changes are a piece of cake, and not that expensive. The way I see it, "You can pay now for the combo cleaner/stabilizer, and perform your own routine maintenance, or pay your outboard-tech later for the overhaul".
Sponsors:
M & M Marine, Lincoln, CA
[img]http://www.evolutionmarine.net/images/mercury.logo.gif[/img]
PLAY HARD AND FLOOR IT!!
jimmy87

Post by jimmy87 »

its easy to do yourself.
lower end oil, impeller and water pump housing, spark plugs Thermostats every few years and that about covers it.
did I leave somthing out?
just shut up and fish
drrakruz

Post by drrakruz »

jimmy87 wrote:its easy to do yourself.
lower end oil, impeller and water pump housing, spark plugs Thermostats every few years and that about covers it.
did I leave somthing out?
Yes, fuel filter/water separator.
Sponsors:
M & M Marine, Lincoln, CA
[img]http://www.evolutionmarine.net/images/mercury.logo.gif[/img]
PLAY HARD AND FLOOR IT!!
twister

Post by twister »

Follow the mfg recommended schedule and you can't go wrong. With my experience, there are very little factory trained outboard mechanics in the Nor Cal area. At least they're no Evinrude mechanics. Do not trust a mechanic because they call themselves one. If you do go to a mechanic make sure they have they are properly trained. Here's a link to the recommended maintenance schedule for all Optimax engines. Do the maintenance and hope nothing else goes wrong--that's the name of the game.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/_media/pdf ... ptiMax.pdf
Phil

Post by Phil »

DeltaDan wrote:Plugs I remove and clean myself every 6 months and check the gap - Still no need to change them out as of yet.

Filters and Water Impeller - every two years ..... Unless you take out your L/U before that time comes due. :lol: -- (Then have it changed while the L/U is already off. :wink: )
Then you have had your water pump serviced (how many times Dan in the past year)???
twister

Post by twister »

Mercury, Sierra, and Mechanics are loving you guys if you change your impeller every year.
j10b

Post by j10b »

For Full tournament year,60+ days on the water I would change the impeller 2x. Plugs and filter yearly. With ethanol you can never be too safe. Impellers are like 12 bucks.

Its 6 bolts put the motor in gear, pull the kill switch. One shake and its down. Its easy off. Kinda easy on. Install is in the reverse. If you need to you can push it up and have someone start it WITH THE KILL SWITCH PULLED! and it will pop into place.
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

My mechanic says to change the impeller every two years. I do it every year. Each year he shows me a beat up impeller and says, Man you're lucky you had me check that.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
twister

Post by twister »

Greg_Cornish wrote:My mechanic says to change the impeller every two years. I do it every year. Each year he shows me a beat up impeller and says, Man you're lucky you had me check that.
How many hours did you get on your impeller? What type of motor. Notice that Mercury impellers are a lot smaller than Evinrude.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Phil wrote:
DeltaDan wrote:Plugs I remove and clean myself every 6 months and check the gap - Still no need to change them out as of yet.

Then you have had your water pump serviced (how many times Dan in the past year)???
Phil - You yourself should know that it was my first water impeller replacement for myself since I originally paid cash for my boat from you just some 17 months ago now. (And my Insurance covered it along with Team Inland-Marine working hand in hand on my loosing my L/U outside of Big Break earlier this year)

Do you know something that I don't ? ...And that I may now need to know :? If so~ please feel free to PM what the heck you are talking about so you can further enlighten me please.

Cheers, Image
Always,
Dan
Last edited by DeltaDan on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
buddy brown

Post by buddy brown »

I have the computer diagnostic done at least once a year, just to make sure that everything is good. This will tell you alot. I have my impeller changed every 1.5 years. Like rick g said the impeller will not work as well if you don't use it that often. By the impeller just sitting there for a time it will conform to the shape that it was sitting in and ultimately will not be snug up against the walls of the water pump, which in turn will impede the impeller from pumping adequate water. Just had my lower unit oil changed at 53 hours and some prop work done. Took it out a couple of days ago and it is running unbelievably good better and smoother than when I took it in.
Phil

Post by Phil »

DeltaDan wrote:
Phil wrote:

Phil - You yourself should know that it was my first water impeller replacement for myself since I originally paid cash for my boat from you just some 17 months ago now. (And my Insurance covered it along with Team Inland-Marine working hand in hand on my loosing my L/U outside of Big Break earlier this year)

Do you know something that I don't ? ...And that I may now need to know :? If so~ please feel free to PM what the heck you are talking about so you can further enlighten me please.

Cheers, Image
Always,
Dan[/quot

Buying and paying cash for your Triton from me is not the topic ?
17 months, I'm still waiting for that free Delta fishing lesson ?
I'm sorry Dan. beings we never talk. I heard and just heard. must have been a rumor, that you hit the lower end twice in the dleta now and have had it replaced twice. Sorry if its not true. like I said it is only something I heard one day. Someone said hey arn't you the one that sold that Triton to Delta Dan. And that what they told me. Was a month or more ago.

Was not meant to be mean no offense meant...Sorry Dan

Have a nice day. Phil
j10b

Post by j10b »

Rick G wrote:You should have your motor serviced and waterpump impeller changed every 2 years or every 100 hours. Just like your rubber windshield wipers it goes bad just sitting there. Also for those with the newer engines that have Mercury Factory extended warrantee's to keep the warrantee effective a service history must be kept. Twice a month's use is about 50 hours a year, so 2 years max. Plus if you are not under warranty, blow a powerhead and those services will seem cheap. Rick G.
you mean 100 hours or 2 years which ever comes first right? Great advice. When you look at the price of an impeller vs a new motor its worth it.
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

twister wrote:
Greg_Cornish wrote:My mechanic says to change the impeller every two years. I do it every year. Each year he shows me a beat up impeller and says, Man you're lucky you had me check that.
How many hours did you get on your impeller? What type of motor. Notice that Mercury impellers are a lot smaller than Evinrude.
A 40 hp and a 150 hp evinrude
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln