What transducer should i use for front HDS unit

Moderator: Ken Sauret

norcalracer

What transducer should i use for front HDS unit

Post by norcalracer »

I currently have a gen 2 hgs 8 at the helm with down/side scan ect.i purchased a second matching unit to put on the front of my boat.Question i have is what should i do as far as transducer and or other connections between the two units. i have a motor guide trolling motor with built in transducer but im sure will not do down imaging.i would like to have down image/no side scan for front. Any help would be appreciated thanks!
Last edited by norcalracer on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
norcalracer

Re: best way to install hds on front (transducer) ?

Post by norcalracer »

i forgot to mention i am also running a panel mounted 5" gps graph up front as well (non HD) also should i mount the hds solid up front or with the large RAM mount?
NoCAL

Re: What transducer should i use for front HDS unit

Post by NoCAL »

For the front unit you should purchase a PDT-WBL 83/200 kHz, which is a pod type with temp, along with a hose clamp to attach it to your trolling motor. The new HDS should be connected to the LSS (structure scan) unit with an Ethernet cable which you will also need to purchase. This will allow waypoints from one unit to be shared with the other unit and you could visualize SS and DS from the stern transducer if you wanted.
If the front graph is a Lowrance and it is not too old, there are options to connect it to other graphs for waypoint sharing but it gets a little expensive and complicated. Keep in mind though that if that front 5" graph has a transducer, you cannot run both it and the new HDS at the same time. The frequencies will be highly likely to interfere with each other.

NoCAL
norcalracer

Post by norcalracer »

i found the pdt-wbl but it says its a single frequency 200 khzwith built in temp. Is this the rite one to put on trolling motor? thanks
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

That is the correct one. The 83 kHz comes from the software in the HDS unit.

NoCAL
norcalracer

Post by norcalracer »

i think i will just dissconnect the motor guide sonar from the current nonw hds 5'" and use it for the new hds. i can still use the 5 for gps/lake maps i think or just not use it at all