Speaking of Computer Security...

tunaman

Speaking of Computer Security...

Post by tunaman »

All this talk of Windows 7 aside, I spent considerable time today putting together a home user computer security primer, due in part to a couple of conversations I've had recently with folks who have gotten caught up in some of the plethora of vulnerabilities which are now omni-present in our daily environments (names will be omitted to protect the victims!).

For those who don't know, I'm an IT (computer) guy, currently working in Enterprise Security for Kaiser Permanente. I deal with vulnerabilities on a daily basis, and thought I'd share some basics with my friends to perhaps help protect some from the numerous pitfalls.

I've posted it on my website, for any of you who are interested... warning - it is a lengthy read, but should be worthwhile if it helps provide a little security in an otherwise treacherous world!

Here's the link:

http://www.tunaman.org/web/HomeSecPrimer.htm

Hope it helps some avoid the many vulnerabilities out on the wire.

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
Andi

Re: Speaking of Computer Security...

Post by Andi »

Great info, tunaman, Thank you!
Andi Sanders
Owner, Talon Series Custom Lures
www.talonlures.com
Brian D.

Good stuff Roggie

Post by Brian D. »

The two worst apps for getting viruses are thru Facebook and Myspace.

Also, add "fakeware" to your list of nasties. So many unsuspecting folks get spoofed into thinking their systems are infected and only find out later that the spoofed scan was a hoax after paying the ransom fee.

If someone sees this type of dialog they need to shut it down ASAP.

~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related

Post by Guest »

Roger,

Do you work for IBM or directly for Kaiser? I heard IBM is now outsourcing Kaiser's IT. I also work in IT for Fujitsu onsite at Honeywell in Tempe. IBM also has a large footprint here ay Honeywell as well.

Vince
bselsor

Post by bselsor »

Considering the time we spend on computers, this is of the most value. Keep it coming. Data is to hard to re-construct. Again many thanks.
3/4 of the Earth's surface is water and 1/4 is land. Clearly god wants me to fish, not mow the lawn.
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

BD, I thought about it, but it was getting extremely lengthy as it was... although as many folks that have gotten caught up in it really merits inclusion. I really wanted to get a bit deeper and not single out anything in particular, but given our experiences with Conficker I had to make mention of it.

Since you brought it up, I'll certainly have to include a section on the web page since it has bitten so many, and continues to do so.

If you would be so kind as to send the screen shot at your best size and resolution I'd like to use it? I'm sure there are many out there, but you hound-dogged it already.

Thanks for the input!!!

Roger
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Vince Borrego wrote:Roger,

Do you work for IBM or directly for Kaiser? I heard IBM is now outsourcing Kaiser's IT. I also work in IT for Fujitsu onsite at Honeywell in Tempe. IBM also has a large footprint here ay Honeywell as well.

Vince
Vince,

Kaiser did indeed outsource all of our Datacenter Operations, and the majority of IT. We still have a few select groups in-house, and Enterprise security is one of the areas that remain (for now anyway!). I've been with Kaiser for just under 10 years now as an FTE, and a great many friends and top-notch resources got caught up in the outsourcing initiative. Many/most aren't too happy about it, but are largely thankful that they still have jobs at least, and mostly get to do the same things with the same systems.

I just spoke with an ex-Kaiser Senior Manager who is a dear friend, and his company is now on the threshold of a major outsourcing initiative as well.

Once upon a time, many companies tried it and found that it wasn't the panacea that they thought, and that it was more expensive for less quality service and support and went full circle. Now it looks like that cycle has begun again, and my expectations are that the results will be the same in the end.

GOT TO GO FISHING THIS MORNING THOUGH BEFORE WORK (thanks my Brotha Cooch!!!), and I'm now working through my Friday, so LIFE IS GREAT HERE ON THE DELTA!!!

Roger
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

And to those who find it helpful or interesting, thanks much. I really hope to help some avoid the pain and keep being able to enjoy Western Bass and all!!!

Roger
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Sorry - thread split (and moved) to remove the OS wars garbage. Guess I'd better lock it down also... sheesh.

Roger