Throw cushion fine $882.00

ken L.

Throw cushion fine $882.00

Post by ken L. »

You read that right, for not having your throw cushion ON THE DECK of your boat, not in storage while on the water you can be fined $882.00. The way I found this out was when I launched at Ladds yesterday the Coast Guard was there doing boat checks.
I had all of the required stuff, but when I showed them my throw cushion, I was told that it had to be ON THE DECK not in storage or if stopped You could be hit with a $882.00 fine, (yes he showed me in writing). And that is for all boats 16' and over. And it has to be attached to 100' of rope. Now everyone make sure its on the deck and when you stumble over it and fall in the water your partner can throw it at you to save your life without having to look for it!!!!!
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Re: Throw cushion fine $882.00

Post by macinckirk »

I was told the same thing at Perris when they were doing free checks of your boat to make sure you had everything

Speaking of this I need to get a New fire ext
[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/basscaptain/Kirk-McIntyre-sig.gif[/img]
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I would really like to know, for sure about this one. I know you have to have the cushion right out and readily available for anyone to see and be able to throw. But the 100 ft of rope attached seems to be not written into the same law. I have some law officers say with rope and some say rope not needed. Anyone have the written law handy to post? Bill K :)
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
drrakruz

Post by drrakruz »

Sounds like another conspiracy boiling. Just another way for the our wonderful State to try to make money from boaters. Funny how they "show you in writing after the rule becomes law". How many boaters knew of this? Last I heard, the throwable cushion only had to be "in the boat". Now it's "on the deck with 100' of rope attached"? That makes as much sense as driving while somebody is standing on the deck!! With all that rope attached, that is an accident waiting to happen!! And what about boats under 16'? Are they immune to accidents? What's going to be the next way the State can ticket boaters: having too many rods on the deck? Give me a break.
Sponsors:
M & M Marine, Lincoln, CA
[img]http://www.evolutionmarine.net/images/mercury.logo.gif[/img]
PLAY HARD AND FLOOR IT!!
Paul W

Post by Paul W »

Ridiculous :shock: If anything, take the cushion and coiled-up rope and stick it way up under the drivers console out of the way. To me, the deck of the boat is anywhere on top so this would count. If you have a hot foot that may get in the way, though.

Paul W
Xbass365

Post by Xbass365 »

I got that ticket in my wake board boat about 5 years ago. I feel it was the ticket to give because they could not find anything else.. I went to court they droped it down to $50.00.. The other ticket I got on the delta was gunnel riding because a girl sat on the side while I was in the 5mph.. When I got it in the mail it was $8600.00, I about crapped myself.. When I went to court the fine was $100.00
Xbass365 10 pound bass 365 days
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

A type 4 pfd (Throwable) is a requirement, but the 100 feet of rope attached to it.... don't think so.

Even if you're talking about stuff-bags, those certainly dont have 100' of rope, nor do they offer any floatation, and I'd like to meet the person who can chuck a throwable cushion 100' with any sembelance of accuracy!

Wear your vests and have a throwable pfd, for us anglers, those will likely be the most important.
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

When my last boat was checked and they asked me were my 100' of rope was I showed them my anchor thats when I got the info

not only was my throw cushion still in the bag in the rod locker, they really LOVED were the rope was or hooked to

Oh by the way the cushion is now back in the bag and the rope is in the work shed with the 15 lber, i guess I'm not ready for a check in this new boat :roll:
[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/basscaptain/Kirk-McIntyre-sig.gif[/img]
Ray Vanacore

Post by Ray Vanacore »

I just took the online boating safty test and nowhere did i see where you had to have a 100' of rope attached to the cushinon. Infact here is what it reads.
One wearable PFD for each person aboard is required and they should be stowed where readily accessible. (Readily accessible does not include being in the plastic wrapper in which it came or stowed forward in the v-berth under 5 cases of soda.) It's a good idea to placea PFD next to each seat before getting underway.

In addition to a wearable PFD for each person, one Type IV throwable device, which should be immediately available, is also required on each vessel 16 feet or larger.
here is the web site.
http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/
Ray Vanacore
Ray Vanacore
steve black

Post by steve black »

I'VE heard you even have to have it on the deck even if your fishing alone.... :? :? so my question was to them was if that's the case WHO would throw it to me with the attached 100ft rope.. I was told in so maybe words not to be a smart _ _ _. I don't know :?: :?:
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Back a couple of months ago at Castaic there was some Supposed Coast Guard Auxiliary who were asking, like they always do if boater's would do a voluntary inspection, These guys get to be a little bothersome some times, I usually do 1 a year when I have time, they always get the guys in bassboat instead of the boaters that are clueless, well these guys were in street clothes, they usually have a Coast Guard type shirt on, so I wasn't sure who they were, but rude as hell when I and another basser friend of mine were cleaning our boats up, told them we were good to go.... then the guy starts telling us that our CF numbers were illegal and got real crappy when we pointed out that never heard of that new rule and if so everybody here was in violation, words were exchanged, shook my head and we left.

It all come's down to selective enforcement with these guys, wether It's the Lake Patrol, the Lifeguards.
Make all boater's get a licence to operate, I'd do it, the lake's would be empty in the summer.
I'd fight the ticket...
norththird

Post by norththird »

I just read the Cal. boating laws and it says " An aproved type VI throwable device which "should" be immediately available. It does not say anything about a rope attached or having to be on the deck. Could the website not be up to date or does the coast guard have its own interpertation?[/u]
Obi-Hub

Link to Federal Requirements and Safety Tips

Post by Obi-Hub »

Hmmm....

http://www.uscgboating.org/SAFETY/fedreqs/equ_pfd.htm

No mention of a 100 feet of rope or being on deck!

Just - "Throwable devices must be immediately available for use."

I keep my right on top of the dry storage in front of the drivers console. Never had any problem with it there when getting inspected.

Perhaps they changed the rules without notifying the public...That would be a surprise...NOT :roll:

Obi
~~~Gary "Obi-Hub" Collins
:mrgreen: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :mrgreen:
bubbasuncle

Post by bubbasuncle »

Make all boater's get a licence to operate, I'd do it, the lake's would be empty in the summer.

ya just like theres no unlicenced drivers on our roads :roll: ,just do what you can to be safe and keep your eye out for other guy.
when in doubt,jerk their lips
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I have no problem with a PFD for each person on board. We should all be wearing them when under power on the main motor and even, probably, in rough water while on TM. I have no problem with a throwable cushion out in the open and within reach to throw to someone, if needed.
My problem is with authorities that do not know what they are talking about and can not show you, written law, when asked, after they spout off. And it is the new one's doing so. It just is not the same as when I worked the streets, we learned from old salts(So to speak) and they knew and could show your what they were telling you. Glad I grew up in the Good OLD DAYS. Bill K :lol:
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

So if I got this right, if they don't have a written definiion of rope, then I figured out what to do with those left over filler spools of six pound test, attach it to the throw cushion!!!!
basshunter4u

Post by basshunter4u »

Braid is a type of rope isnt it? Not to be a but head but come on. I have 2 PFDs in my boat, one for each of the 2 seats, and I will admit my throwable floatation device is still in the original packaging. I dont have 100 foot of rope on the boat because at the time I bought it, it was not called for. That was way back in 2007. My neighbor worked for the coast guard and he did the inspection for me and told me I have all I need to meet their requirements. Will I go out and get a 100 foot rope. Who knows probably, if it avoids a hassle and a ticket with a free pass to the courthouse to defend my self then I guess I will have to. Dont give the state any ideas about a liscense for boaters we pay enough already

DO
never give up, be possitive and patient, and you will be rewarded
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

we pay enough already
No we don't.
Glenn Abuelhaj
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

They have been checking for throw cushions at McClure for a couple of years. They never have asked for a rope, though. Those same questions came up about having no one to throw it to you when you are alone. Same answer. It just had to be accessable, not in a locker.
Morgan
BigBossMan

Post by BigBossMan »

California Code Of Regulations T-14 6565.7(b) states that a throwable has to be immediately accessible. Inside the boat compartment is not immediately accessible. The fine can be up to $882.00.

A 100’ rope does not need to be attached. A 100’ rope attached to the throwable could make it easier to pull a person back to safety. If someone is ejected from the boat or falls in the water the person driving the boat may have a difficult time operating the boat in a safe manner to pull up next to the person floating the water. If a rope is attached to the throwable they could pull the person back to safety.

I wouldn’t say the authorities didn’t know what they were talking about. I think they didn’t want to explain that having a 100’ rope attached to a throwable would make it much easier to save someone from the water.
basshunter4u

Post by basshunter4u »

gabuelhaj, you dont think we pay enough huh, You must not have lived in this state very long. If they can find a way to squeeze another dollar out of us they do. Dont give them any more ideas. I am sick and tired of this State and its fuC)(*ing taxes. Anyone who owns a home and has a job knows they havent had a raise to meet the cost of living in 20 years. When My son is through with school I will do some serious thinking but CA has changed for the worse and will never get better. The only thing good here is the weather
never give up, be possitive and patient, and you will be rewarded
kopper_bass

Try this for a throw rope

Post by kopper_bass »

Just in case,
Anyone interested to purchase a throw rope for their boat should consider what is used in Kayaking. Its a simple bag with 50, 75, or 100 FT of rope attached that you just stuff in the sack for storage and its ready to throw. Its small, compact, relatively cheap and easy to use. You could even go and make your own if you wanted to.

You can find them at most outdoor stores. Here is a link from REI showing what they are: http://www.rei.com/product/723664

These do work pretty well actually for chucking a lot of rope long distances. You just open the top and hold the end of the rope coming out of the bag. Then just throw the bag with all the rope in it. The rope just naturally comes out as the bag goes sailing to the victim.

I have one from my kayaking days. Guess i need to put it in the boat for future inspections.

Kopper
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
StogieMan

Post by StogieMan »

I can't comment on the 100' of rope portion of this discussion but i can ad this little tid-bit. I own a Mustang PFD and they offer an item that works under the same idea, get it wet and it inflates. This throwable "Stick" has a handle and can be thrown a long distance accurately,is smaller and easier to store than a cushion. Just an FYI
Obi-Hub

Post by Obi-Hub »

I guess the bottom line is what exactly is "immediately accessible"?

This is debatable until pigs fly :roll:

I could depend on how good your legal counsel is :oops: or how strict/lenient/pissy the LEO/Judge is...on and on it goes :lol:

Obi
bubba

Post by bubba »

So... let me get this straight. A guy falls out of my boat. I throw the cushion and rope at him. So how does that help if i throw the rope at him too? :shock:
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

A little common sense here, you need to hold onto one of the the rope you are throwing..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Phil

Post by Phil »

Obi-Hub wrote:I guess the bottom line is what exactly is "immediately accessible"?

This is debatable until pigs fly :roll:

I could depend on how good your legal counsel is :oops: or how strict/lenient/pissy the LEO/Judge is...on and on it goes :lol:

Obi
Debate over, I just saw a pig fly by me on the way to Don Pedro a few minutes ago !!!
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

I hear you bro! I was referring to the tax hike we will be paying come this April. Oh yeah, the DMV fees and rates are going up as well.

And, I'm appealing my inflated property tax bill too!

And I do agree to NOT give them any more ideas but they always find a way into our wallets.... :x
Glenn Abuelhaj
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I was told by a Coast Guard officer that inflatible PFDs are not considered life preservers unless they are actually being worn.
Since you're required to have a PDF for each person on board, if you have inflatibles, but don't wear them all the time, you need to have additional coventional vests, one for each person on the boat, even if they're not worn, to comply with the law.
That being the case, I doubt if they'd accept an inflatible throw cushion, unless it was inflated all the time.
StogieMan wrote:I can't comment on the 100' of rope portion of this discussion but i can ad this little tid-bit. I own a Mustang PFD and they offer an item that works under the same idea, get it wet and it inflates. This throwable "Stick" has a handle and can be thrown a long distance accurately,is smaller and easier to store than a cushion. Just an FYI
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

A rope also let's you bring it back in and throw again if you miss the first time.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
TomAtkeson

Post by TomAtkeson »

OK, I did some checking around and talked to a boarding officer down here in New Orleans as well as a Lt. that works in the enforcement division down here in New Orleans, both confirmed that there is no regulation stating that there has to be a 100-foot line attached to a type IV throwable flotation device.

That being said personally, I think its a good idea. Are you confident you can throw that right to your buddy that's struggling to stay above surface in the water on the first try? I don't know if I could and I've tossed more heaving lines than I can remember. Plus do you know that you can safely maneuver your boat next to your buddy and pick him out? I'd rather not find out, I mean think of the consequences if you miss him or run him over on accident. In short I'd rather get the second or third shot at throwing a type Iv to him.

As someone stated there are heaving lines that come in a handy bag that keep them out of the way, great idea and tool we use them in the Coast Guard. There are also inflatable type IV flotation devices that are compact and stay out of the way.

As for the state or federal government changing things and not notifying the public I can say that is not true, at least on the Coast Guard level, I know this because every time there is a policy change HQ sends out press release, Pacific Area and Atlantic Area sends out releases and Districts send out releases concerning it and how it affects boaters in each area. Do a google news search for "406 EPIRB" it was a huge effort to get the news out to boaters that old analog EPIRBS were going the way of the buffalo and new 406 digital EPIRBS were the new standard for boaters.

It doesn't sound like any one was fined, when I was a boarding team member in california I know my crews usually just gave out verbal or written warnings to fix the problem and moved on, no one gets a bonus for writing fines all day, its actually a lot of paperwork for something that is better fixed by talking to the boater and showing him/her how much it can cost them if it is not fixed.

I hope this information has helped ya'll, and if anyone here has questions regarding the Coast Guard or boating safety regulations or tips please PM me. I will research it and give you an answer as soon as I can.
Tom Atkeson
http://www.blackdogbaitco.com
http://www.tylurecustombaits.com
http://www.skinnybearbassjigs.com
http://www.youtube.com/ibassfishing
drew

Post by drew »

Auto-inflatables are not considered a life preserver unless worn, but manual inflatables are and not required to be worn all of the time to meet the basic requirement.

mark poulson wrote:I was told by a Coast Guard officer that inflatible PFDs are not considered life preservers unless they are actually being worn.
Since you're required to have a PDF for each person on board, if you have inflatibles, but don't wear them all the time, you need to have additional coventional vests, one for each person on the boat, even if they're not worn, to comply with the law.
RMARX

Post by RMARX »

I have been checked at McClure and they do require "rope" to be attached, but they did not specify a length, I do not have to worry though if my partner fell in he would float because I am pretty sure bulls**t floats!!! :shock: :D
Obi-Hub

Post by Obi-Hub »

drew wrote:Auto-inflatables are not considered a life preserver unless worn, but manual inflatables are and not required to be worn all of the time to meet the basic requirement.

mark poulson wrote:I was told by a Coast Guard officer that inflatible PFDs are not considered life preservers unless they are actually being worn.
I believe that is the other way around. You can throw an auto inflate in the water and it will inflate the manual won''t. I know the old manuals were only good when worn as the only way for them to inflate was if you inflated it. The one I have now, can't remember the class, is both auto and manual and is valid if I am not wearing it. At least according to the packaging and the person who did my last inspection.

I do, however, keep one or two old conventional style PFD jackets in my boat just as a redundant backup. Still don't 100% trust the inflatables. Had one go off on me in a tournament while in someone else's boat with now rearming kit and had to leave it inflated or be disqualified for not having a "valid, working" PFD. In FLW, a PFD violation is a boat DQ meaning both parties get DQ'd as they expect you to make sure the other person abides by the rules!

Obi
senkoboy

Post by senkoboy »

Has anyone tried to velro a throw cushion to the deck or other spot on the boat. my trition has a perfect hard spot between the seats. I usually put the throw cushion there is I have a third person on board. I just don't know if it will stay put on land and sea with no one sitting on it. I will try this weekend and post the results and/or be buying a new cushion.

the rope is just dumb. someones gonna get hurt with 100 ft of rope out on the deck at 70mph.

al
I think therefore I fish.
drew

Post by drew »

I'm sure that the autos do not meet the basic requirement unless worn all of the time. The reason is because the auto inflatable vests cannot be put on when inflated. My Sospenders auto inflatable vest has a patch with the below statement on it.

"inflatable type V convertable PFD with type II performance approved only when worn"
Obi-Hub wrote:
I believe that is the other way around. You can throw an auto inflate in the water and it will inflate the manual won''t. I know the old manuals were only good when worn as the only way for them to inflate was if you inflated it. The one I have now, can't remember the class, is both auto and manual and is valid if I am not wearing it. At least according to the packaging and the person who did my last inspection.

Obi