15lb Largemouth

492slayer

15lb Largemouth

Post by 492slayer »

Well guys, after nearly 9 months of waiting I finally received the mount of my 15.48lb Oroville Record Largemouth. For any of you that went to the Sac sportsman's Expo in February, I had Advanced Taxidermy & Wildlife Design of Ontario, Canada do the work. I think the job they did was incredible. Take a look and see what you think. I guess the chance of getting one bigger than 15.48lbs is like hitting the lottery. Fish of a lifetime for me...
Let me know what you think.... :D (The soda can in the last shot is to give you an idea how big that sumbitch was :lol: )
'97 492VS
335HP EFI by Simon Motorsports
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Re: 15lb Largemouth

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

AWESOME.....

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Beautiful fish, and beautiful mount - congratulations!

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
BMX Bassin

Post by BMX Bassin »

Congrats!!! Pretty awesome!!!! Was it a catch and release mount?
BMX Mike
Brian

Post by Brian »

BMX Bassin wrote:Congrats!!! Pretty awesome!!!! Was it a catch and release mount?

Who Cares? Great looking mount either way. Good job. 8)
bassenvy

Post by bassenvy »

they do the BEST brush work I've ever seen....truly a piece of artwork and money well spent...the scale detail and depth they achieve with their paints is second to none!
BMX Bassin

Post by BMX Bassin »

Brian wrote:
BMX Bassin wrote:Congrats!!! Pretty awesome!!!! Was it a catch and release mount?

who cares?? what kind of response is that?? I was just curious if someone could do that good of a mount job from pictures.
BMX Mike
NaCl

Post by NaCl »

Absolutely beautiful fish! And you're right, the chances of catching another fish that big at Oroville is probably worse than trying to hit the lotto! Nice mount work too.
BigBassWorks

Post by BigBassWorks »

who cares.......... Its Beautiful ......

Well Done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
BILLYS

Post by BILLYS »

Congrats!!!!! If it was me, I would still have a smile on my face.
TEAM FATBOY.
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

Stunning work. Beautiful fish.
Dobyns Rods
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

BILLYS wrote:Congrats!!!!! If it was me, I would still have a smile on my face.
What he said and AWESOME!!!!!

Don.
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
Chaozu

Post by Chaozu »

Awesome mount. I like the product placement for Pepsi
Ryan Margone
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Awe, she's just a fat pig. :wink:
Congratulations.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
g-man

Post by g-man »

BMX Bassin wrote:
Brian wrote:

who cares?? what kind of response is that?? I was just curious if someone could do that good of a mount job from pictures.
to answer your question yes! My roomate has a 11plus replica, and it looks unreal! No pun intended..

Nice Mount!
100% LL
BMX Bassin

Post by BMX Bassin »

Thanks for a real response G! Some of these other guys... well.... nevermind. I just wanted to know if that was done from pictures because it a great looking mount.
BMX Mike
tracker31

Post by tracker31 »

awesome mount! fish of a lifetime thats for sure
492slayer

Post by 492slayer »

Mike, it is a replica. I released the fish back unharmed. I think Advanced does the best work I've seen. As far as no smile in the picture... I just got off work after 14 hours last night, took the pics at 3:00am today with my digital camera on timer. I didn't know when the pic was going to take so I had a dazed look on my face. They can recreate any fish you have caught just by sending in photos and measurements.
'97 492VS
g-man

Post by g-man »

Slayer I remember seeing the pic in the photos section. Too many to hunt for can you post it to compare?
100% LL
Brian

Post by Brian »

BMX Bassin wrote:Thanks for a real response G! Some of these other guys... well.... nevermind. I just wanted to know if that was done from pictures because it a great looking mount.

Go ahead and say it. I'm a big boy, I can take it. :roll:
BMX Bassin

Post by BMX Bassin »

492slayer wrote:Mike, it is a replica. I released the fish back unharmed. I think Advanced does the best work I've seen. As far as no smile in the picture... I just got off work after 14 hours last night, took the pics at 3:00am today with my digital camera on timer. I didn't know when the pic was going to take so I had a dazed look on my face. They can recreate any fish you have caught just by sending in photos and measurements.
Thanks Slayer, and congrats on a fish of a lifetime! Thats exactly the info I was looking for. If get a One that big (or close)I will be sure to get a bunch of pics so I can have it done. BigBassWorks has one post and decides to PM me and say "get a life Wakeboarder"......wow, what a loser.
BMX Mike
Hipster

Post by Hipster »

Awesome !!!!!!

Simply Awesome!!!!!!!

Congratulations again!!

Mark
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
g-man

Post by g-man »

BMX Bassin wrote:
492slayer wrote:Mike, it is a replica. I released the fish back unharmed. I think Advanced does the best work I've seen. As far as no smile in the picture... I just got off work after 14 hours last night, took the pics at 3:00am today with my digital camera on timer. I didn't know when the pic was going to take so I had a dazed look on my face. They can recreate any fish you have caught just by sending in photos and measurements.
Thanks Slayer, and congrats on a fish of a lifetime! Thats exactly the info I was looking for. If get a One that big (or close)I will be sure to get a bunch of pics so I can have it done. BigBassWorks has one post and decides to PM me and say "get a life Wakeboarder"......wow, what a loser.

BMX, I don't know who this person is or care, but keep pms private even if they are insulting! it could cause a lot of chit!
100% LL
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

What Don said + 1, Great looking fish
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Or, watch what you say in PMs in case some posts it. ;-)
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

BMX Bassin wrote:

LMFAO! I'm pretty sure there's only one guy who would send such a PM. I might even be lucky enough to get one now that I posted this. I can only hope. :D
Skunkedagain

Post by Skunkedagain »

Hmm I dunno, if your gonna PM somebody with note like that, you should have the cojones to say it publicly, otherwise keep your negative opinion/comment to yourself.

Oh ya, killer fish, I could only dream of landing one like that, nice job, and kudos for keeping the fish alive!
-Adam Paseman
TomL

Post by TomL »

I am glad BMX asked that question - I would have thought it was a mount not a replica -

Is it easy to tell the difference?

I am not really that familiar with either.
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

You and your trophy are in a league of your own!! What an accomplishment!!!
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Well done !!

Congrats again !!
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
FishaHallic

Post by FishaHallic »

I hate you.........J/K :D ......Great catch, awsome mount and good release.
Florida transplant, miss my Bass fishing
Kevin Evans - Kap

Post by Kevin Evans - Kap »

Sweet.. Beautiful fish and what a great mount. Enjoy...

Kap
You cant fix stupid, but you can vote it out...
TD

Post by TD »

Nice fish...any idea how old? Just think she's still swimming and eating....
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

That looks great! Congrats!
492slayer

Post by 492slayer »

Thanks for all the comments guys.... :mrgreen:
'97 492VS
lowerider

Post by lowerider »

Just wondering where you had it weighed? Marina? Awesome Fish!!!
492slayer

Post by 492slayer »

Weighed on certified scales at grocery and released
'97 492VS
longshot

Post by longshot »

Well no one can argue weight!! Man what a fish congrates and Awesome job getting her to the store and back to the water in one piece :D TRUE SPORTSMAN!!!
People like you deserve a catch like that CONGRATES again and I hope you break your PB next trip :wink:
LS
procraftrob

Post by procraftrob »

How much did it cost you?
lowerider

Post by lowerider »

I hope my question didn't sound like I was questioning the weight. I was just curious where it was weighed in case I ever needed a fish weighed in Oroville. I guess I should worry about catching one first. Lol. Once again AWESOME fish!
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

I've often wondered how accurate those fish weight calculators were.
These are from Bass resource and Bass Pro. Anyone find a more accurate one?
This is disappointing that the calculator is so far off from a certified scale.
Also, did you weigh it on a non-certified scale and if you did, was it close?
Once again Excellent catch, I hope you break you PB soon. ;-)

Bass Resource

Bass Pro

Looks like if you averaged these two you be close to real weight.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
GregD

Post by GregD »

Hi Greg,

Do to variations is fish shapes, I don't think you're going to find a "calculator" that will get any more accurate than the two you showed. Especially when the fish is 28" long.

If the calculator is 1 lb off the true weight of a 15 lb fish, you've got almost 7% error. I'm sure the error could be as much s 10% or more on and odd shapped fish.

Greg
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

GregD wrote:Hi Greg,

Do to variations is fish shapes, I don't think you're going to find a "calculator" that will get any more accurate than the two you showed. Especially when the fish is 28" long.

If the calculator is 1 lb off the true weight of a 15 lb fish, you've got almost 7% error. I'm sure the error could be as much s 10% or more on and odd shapped fish.

Greg
I didn't have my camera or scale the night I released a 27.5 inch x 20 inch bass in Clear Lake.
I'm still P.O.ed about that. That's why I'm so interested.
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Greg, here's a third formula that gets closer than the other two:
Another common option used for estimating bass weights is: Girth (in inches)-squared, times length (in inches) divided by 800. A 22" long bass with a girth of 15" weighs about 6.2 pounds using this formula.
Using that formula, the above measurements equal 16.02 (rounded).

I got that one from the FWC web site, which has two others as well as a nice embedded spreadsheet for performing the calculations. I can't get the spreadsheet up on this computer, but I get it on my XP computer so it is still there and available.

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

I've just saved off the data from the spreadsheet (did that before, but can't find where I saved it :oops: ) and created a spreadsheet calculator on my computer. You can do the same, or PM your email and I can send it to you.

Roger
492slayer

Post by 492slayer »

Greg, It would be nice to think that it might have weighed 16.77 on one calculator, but on the scale with the seal from the county dept of weights and measurements it was 15.48. I weighed it on my Rapala hand scale and it was 14lbs 15oz. Kinda makes you wonder if some of the fish that weighed 10-11lbs on my handheld were not closer to 12lbs. You can definately get real close with the calculators, but remember also that if you are not exact with the length and girth the way these calculations are set, you could be off quite a bit. I think it's pretty easy to get the length, but there can be a lot of variances in girth. It all depends on where you put the string. I'd say a fish like a salmon or striper would probably be more acurate as the dimensions are generally more uniform. I don't have any problems with the questions, and take no offense. It's all about sportsmanship and learning stuff to me. :)
'97 492VS
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

492slayer wrote:I'd say a fish like a salmon or striper would probably be more acurate as the dimensions are generally more uniform...
Got to agree there, bass are lumpy ;-) A Northern Pike or Muskie I think are the most uniform. My brothers back in Minnesota say they can get those within an ounce or two using the formulas..
Hillbilly in Cali

Post by Hillbilly in Cali »

492slayer wrote: I weighed it on my Rapala hand scale and it was 14lbs 15oz. Kinda makes you wonder if some of the fish that weighed 10-11lbs on my handheld were not closer to 12lbs.

I have some Rapala scales and they weigh fish light. I have some weights that I put on them. A 2.5, 5, and 10 all weigh 4 ounces light. But I put 7.5 pounds on there and it weighed 2 ounces heavy. Beats me
Please don't get off !!!
FishaHallic

Post by FishaHallic »

492slayer wrote:Greg, It would be nice to think that it might have weighed 16.77 on one calculator, but on the scale with the seal from the county dept of weights and measurements it was 15.48. I weighed it on my Rapala hand scale and it was 14lbs 15oz. Kinda makes you wonder if some of the fish that weighed 10-11lbs on my handheld were not closer to 12lbs. You can definately get real close with the calculators, but remember also that if you are not exact with the length and girth the way these calculations are set, you could be off quite a bit. I think it's pretty easy to get the length, but there can be a lot of variances in girth. It all depends on where you put the string. I'd say a fish like a salmon or striper would probably be more acurate as the dimensions are generally more uniform. I don't have any problems with the questions, and take no offense. It's all about sportsmanship and learning stuff to me. :)
Wait a minute, are you saying you have caught multiple fish over 10 lbs? Now I do hate you :D
Florida transplant, miss my Bass fishing
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

FishaHallic wrote:Wait a minute, are you saying you have caught multiple fish over 10 lbs? Now I do hate you :D
I noticed that too but I won't give anyone the satisfaction of answering yes to that question. :wink: