Curado I - Thoughts?

ttb31183

Curado I - Thoughts?

Post by ttb31183 »

I'm a pretty loyal Shimano user, especially the Curado. Like many bass anglers, I have just about version of this reel. The "green ones" are still probably the best and all of mine are still performing 10-15 years after I bought them. The D was good, the E was awesome and the G was...not as good. From my first experiences, the new I series amazing! How many of you have tried them?

I have only used it a few trips since I got it so late in the season, but I just bought two more, one for me and one for my wife. I am interested to see how they have performed for guys who have had them for a while. Let me know what you think, how would you rate it compared to the other versions?
Tyler Brinks
mark poulson

Re: Curado I - Thoughts?

Post by mark poulson »

Try posting your question here:

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewforum.php?f=47
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I liked them so much, I bought 14 of them. Traded up with my 2 year old green Curados.
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
Diatte

Post by Diatte »

I have 7 or 8 of them now. Great reels.

Ryan
DDG

Post by DDG »

I have mostly G series. I like the E series too but I don't see why people say the G series aren't as good. I have owned them for over a few years and haven't had a problems that I couldn't fix. traded out all my Cu's.
george

Post by george »

I have four of the G-Series left handed and they drive me crazy! When I am palming the reel in my right hand, especially when I am pitching a jig or throwing a blade my hand is in constant contact with the trigger that opens up the side of the spool and often opens up the spool while casting, one occasion at Clear lake when I set on a fish and had to deal with my reel coming apart while fighting it.
I have had to stop fishing on many occasions to close the side of the spool because it opened up during the casting motion.

Almost to the point of getting rid of them, anyone else have this problem or a remedy?

George
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

One of the best offerings from the mothership in the last 5-6 years IMHO. It's already re-defining the sub $200 category.

Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
BassAss4

Post by BassAss4 »

rather have a old green curado e.... or the white chronarchs
BassTramp

Post by BassTramp »

I like them better then my white chronarchs. I fished them in rain, snow, and very warm seems to perform the same though all weather. I have several of l of the three models (5.5:1,6.3:1, 7.2:1 ) I do recommend .
Kiss and Release
bdyer

Post by bdyer »

They are legit! The Curado made its name as being the "Best Bang For Your Buck" work horse type of reel and even though the previous model, the "G", did disappoint, I can say the new "I" lives up to all the expectations we have come to expect from the Curado name and then some. The new SVS braking system always you to really fine tune your brakes and once you get them dialed, back lashing is almost nonexistent. I can absolutely bomb a DD22 with the PG 5.5:1 cranking model and they are super comfortable. They palm more like a 100 size reel than a 200. They are definitely worth a look!
DDG

Post by DDG »

george wrote:I have four of the G-Series left handed and they drive me crazy! When I am palming the reel in my right hand, especially when I am pitching a jig or throwing a blade my hand is in constant contact with the trigger that opens up the side of the spool and often opens up the spool while casting, one occasion at Clear lake when I set on a fish and had to deal with my reel coming apart while fighting it.
I have had to stop fishing on many occasions to close the side of the spool because it opened up during the casting motion.

Almost to the point of getting rid of them, anyone else have this problem or a remedy?

George
I have never had that problem. Like I've said before I haven't really had any problems with my G series. I can cast a DD22 on my g5 literally a mile and last weekend I was fishin a 1/4 oz jig in 40+ ft on 15lb flouro on my g6 making distant casts, etc no backlashing or anything. I was even leaving my bail open on a few fish since i was dragging and landed them no problem. Not trying to sell anyone on the G series, i'm just saying i have a good amount of them and they do not disappoint or haven't YET haha
BassBandit916

Post by BassBandit916 »

i think the curado i is a overall great reel, but one thing i dont like about the curado i that i havent heard anybody talking about is the spool release, its a much longer pull compare to my older curado's, which making pitching a bit diffitcult, i tend to not push the release all the way down or i still have my thumb on the release and it doesn't engage all the way when i crank the handle.

on another note i do notice alot of people bashing on curado G's, now maybe i dont fish as hard as most guys here do, but my curado g's has not failed me yet. i've had them for 3+ years and i only fish the delta and occasionally clear lake. i do admit i neglect my reels becasue i've never opened them up and cleaned them, i only put a few drops of lube on them here and there and to this day they still perform flawlessly and cast a mile.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

BassBandit916 wrote:i think the curado i is a overall great reel, but one thing i dont like about the curado i that i havent heard anybody talking about is the spool release, its a much longer pull compare to my older curado's, which making pitching a bit diffitcult, i tend to not push the release all the way down or i still have my thumb on the release and it doesn't engage all the way when i crank the handle.

on another note i do notice alot of people bashing on curado G's, now maybe i dont fish as hard as most guys here do, but my curado g's has not failed me yet. i've had them for 3+ years and i only fish the delta and occasionally clear lake. i do admit i neglect my reels becasue i've never opened them up and cleaned them, i only put a few drops of lube on them here and there and to this day they still perform flawlessly and cast a mile.
Don't let the reel manufacturers hear you say that! Hahaha
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Big Buddy

Post by Big Buddy »

Have heard nothing but good things. Sure hope that's the case cause I just bought one from BPS with gift cards and am awaiting its arrival in the mail.