SJ County Sheriffs stop the hyacinth fix after two days

WB Staff

SJ County Sheriffs stop the hyacinth fix after two days

Post by WB Staff »

The Village West Marina in Stockton recently came up with a possible solution to help weed out the growing water hyacinth problem, but the San Joaquin County Sheriff's Department put an end to the plans for now, saying it breaks a harbor navigation code...

http://www.kcra.com/news/marina-comes-u ... n/29832282
Otay Michael

Re: SJ County Sheriffs stop the hyacinth fix after two days

Post by Otay Michael »

Love someone is trying to figure it out. So did the boom have a way for boats to get though? Sounds like it didn't.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

How asinine is this? Who's complaining really? Is it the same tenants who are stuck in the marina and can't git out or move around because of the hyacinth? Ya can't git in because of the boom during incoming tides, ya can't git in during the out, go because of all the hyacinth. SJ county doesn't spray the past few years and that crap explodes ALL over the river system, now SJ County is putting a halt to what private business owners are doing on their own to control and run their business from a problem created by SJ and Sac Counties by their lack of spraying this surface plant!

I've said all year long when asked about the tunnels, Prop1 and water going south problems, when asked, how it affects this fishery and water way, look, you better wake up people, we have a bigger problem, right now today, and through the end of this year with the water hyacinth. At the rate it's spreading and covering the Delta, we may not be able to fish 75% of the Delta next year! It is totally out of control, kinda makes ya wonder if there was some kinda plan in place to let this happen, take away the Delta's fish ability, who's gonna fight against taking the water?
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

I work in the Central Valley and work along side farmers and dairymen. One farmer told me if he could find a way to load that crap up he could green chop it like silage and sale it to pig farms and and goat dairies. He said the pigs and goats love it and it's nutritional for them. If I had the money I would honestly give that a shot and hit the areas that need it most. If I sound stupid sorry but that's a idea? With my luck I would do something like that and then the state would come along and shut me down. I do not wanna see the delta go to crap so I wish the state would do something and help take care of the best place to fish in the country if you ask me
whazup

Post by whazup »

Is this a problem in the north Delta also? The Elites have to be taking a hard look at this. Most of them will want to run south anyway, so it will be a factor. Sad situation.
Fish Laugh at the Mention of My Name
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

whazup wrote:Is this a problem in the north Delta also? The Elites have to be taking a hard look at this. Most of them will want to run south anyway, so it will be a factor. Sad situation.
I've been in the upper Sac this past week around Liberty Island Area and there is Hyacinth up there, but it is not anywhere near as bad and abundant as it is through out the rest of the Delta. It wouldn't Surprise me if one of them Elite guys or several of them, since they are launching out of Sacto, come down that Sac River Deepwater Channel and are attracted to that Cache Slough, Prospect, Shag, Lindsey Liberty Island corridor and spend time in there prefishing looking for low pressured groups of fish, and spend tournament time up there and not traveling to the Middle, East and South portions of the Delta.

My guess is by the time that tournament hits in the early spring, the hyacinth through most of the Delta will be greatly diminished and not as much of a problem as it is right now. The problem bigger is, with the abundance of it right now, what will die off during the colder winter months, are going to leave behind the seed pods. With this being the worst I've ever seen, it means we'll have more of these pods tucked away in areas than past years and the re-growth next summer/fall will be worse than what it is this year.

Oh Roscoe, that's an awesome, potential solution! Course, the simple solutions you, I and other laymen see, are likely to be squashed by the brains that run this state, and that really is a sad situation as your suggestion sound like a prudent and viable one! At least in part it would rid a huge portion of the reproductive pods that will be waiting to bloom next year! That's a good one brother!
reddog

Post by reddog »

I dont know if pigs or the like will eat that stuff but its worth a try isnt it? If anyone knows of any pig farmers lets try it. I'm always in for a new business. Oh wait as soon as its worth something the state will want their "portion" and then even though you're saving the waterways AND making a business which, oh my god, might create some jobs!, they'll claim the invasive species, which I'm pretty sure they spend millions trying to get rid off, is now "the peoples property" and we'd have to pay some sort of harvest tax to get rid of they're problem caused by their own incompetence.
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

If we can find out if it's for sure somewhat nutritional for animals we could have something fellas. All we need is a bigger boat to push it to a conveyer stationed at a marina and push it on the conveyer into a trailer. A conveyer like the one they use for nuts. Once it's loadec haul it somewhere and let it dry, once dryed chop it up and store it like silage. If we can prove its nutritional enough for animals then it can be game on. Only one problem "the state", just as red dog says the state will stop a good idea from happening. I know the idea might be far fetched but it's a simple solution and it defitinetly would be the best way to dispose of it and use it for good purposes. Other than that I feel bad for the businesses that are getting hurt by this problem cause we all know local bussiness owners rely on our money and we rely on their services but if we're unable to launch or get to certain places the bussinesses are going to be hurt. We all need to voice our options and hope someone in the state hears them and does something about this problem. If anyone has a source to try this idea I'm in. Let's save the delta
reddog

Post by reddog »

So you have voiced basically my exact thoughts. I dont know that it needs to even be dried to run through a silage chopper its just a matter of getting it to the chopper. I clearly remember seeing a "harvester" type machine years ago in FL. that was being used to chop up the hyacinth on the water so it would run down stream easier and not clog things up. The problem is 2 fold. 1 the state is the only one who can decide investing in these ideas is worth while, and 2 even if we could get something built which, I'm willing to throw my idea out there, its going to take $$$$$$$$$$ I don't have. Although I DO know the man who can build it! 1 40' Barge with a converted silage chop machine mounted on it and a standard tug boat propulsion system, 2 60'-200' barges to "catch" the green chopped material, 1 tug boat to move the barges, and lastly a proven "need" or area where this material can be used or gotten rid of. Any DUTRA guys out there? They're the kings of levee repair and waterway work in the Greater Delta how about some help? Put a proposal together and send it to the state. Or maybe they already know that Cooch is right and the Damn moonbeam Gov. is just letting it go for LA personal gain?